Government Relations and Public Affairs
Luckily, we live in a democracy where engaging with governments and policy and decision-makers is an accepted part of the democratic process. We understand how government works. Our consultants have worked as policy and media advisers in state and federal governments and have an in-depth understanding of the political process.
We draw on our deep experience and knowledge of government to guide our clients when they engage with federal and state governments. We’re also registered lobbyist which means we’re legally allowed to make representations to state and federal government on behalf of clients.
Our services include:
- Facilitating access to Ministers, their advisers and senior bureaucrats
- Drafting submissions and correspondence to government
- Stakeholder mapping and engagement: identification of key government and other influencers, and assistance in liaising with stakeholders in pursuit of regulatory or business objectives
- Public advocacy and public affairs programmes
- Monitoring legislation and new policy developments
See how we are helping the Wallarah 2 Coal project engage with the NSW Government and environmental activists.
Case study: Lobbying on behalf of a major NSW mine
South Korean coal company Wallarah 2 is seeking approval from the NSW Government to secure a mining license to develop a $1 billion mine in NSW.
GSG Counsel is providing strategic communications counsel and lobbying support to highlight the hundreds of jobs the project will create on the Central Coast, which suffers from high unemployment.
Despite sustained opposition from a local action group and environmental activists, the project has obtained preliminary approvals and is currently progressing through the independent planning process. The NSW government supports this approach.
Media reports about this project: